Contents of Article
- What To Look For In A Good Yorkie Shampoo
- How Often Should I Bathe A Yorkie ?
- 6 Yorkie Bathing Tips
- Overall Best Yorkie Shampoo
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Pros And Cons
- Best Shampoo For A Yorkie With Allergies
- 5 More Really Good Shampoos For A Yorkie
- Burt’s Bees Care Plus+ Hydrating Coconut Oil Dog Shampoo
- Earthbath 2-in-1 Mango Tango Conditioning Dog & Cat Shampoo
- Paws & Pals Pet Wash Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera Shampoo
- 4-Legger Organic, Hypo-Allergenic, Lemongrass & Aloe Dog Shampoo
- PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Scented Dog Shampoo, Classic Fresh Scent By PetAg
|Our Picks : Best Shampoos for Yorkies – 2023|
Our little Yorkies are bundles of joy. Their super active nature and their unique personalities make them one of the most popular kinds of dog in the world. Like many long-haired dogs, it can be quite hard work to keep their coats glossy (and their skin healthy).
With that in mind today we are going to be talking about some of the best Yorkie shampoos on the market. We’ve looked at several different products and assessed them on performance and value to provide you with a list of recommendations in our review section at the end of this article.
We’re also going to provide you with some general bathing tips, scheduling advice, and we’re going to talk about the things you want to find in a good Yorkie shampoo.
Let’s get started.
What To Look For In A Good Yorkie Shampoo
Let’s take a look at some of the things you should be looking out for when shopping around to find the perfect shampoo for your Yorkie.
This is a personal preference, some people like to use soap based shampoos to clean their dogs, others prefer to go down a more natural route. Soap based shampoos can only be used infrequently due to their advanced cleaning power relying on compounds that can irritate the skin. Natural shampoos can be used more frequently, but their cleaning power is arguably less impressive.
With a coat as long and beautiful as the coat of a Yorkie, it’s important to find products that are going to try and maintain its luster and shine. There are plenty of products on the market that are specifically designed for long-haired dogs. The additives and ingredients they have inside usually help repair and protect your dog’s coat while adding a glossy shine at the same time.
You also should try and get a 2 in 1 shampoo that has a conditioner in it as well (if possible) this will help to prevent tangling and it will further improve the health of your dog’s coat.
If you’ve got a flea collar on your Yorkie already, then you don’t need to find a product that will provide protection against pests. However, you do need to ensure that any shampoo you use isn’t going to remove the protective coating it provides (specialist shampoos exist for this purpose).
If you’ve got a young Yorkie, then you should be looking out for shampoos that are specifically designed for younger dogs. They are generally gentler formulas that will sting less if they accidentally get into your dog’s eyes.
Any good soap based shampoo is already going to be good at removing stink and smells from your Yorkie. However, natural shampoos that don’t use soap can sometimes struggle with this, especially if they are low quality. Make sure that they’ve got active deodorizing ingredients in them, and a little added scent never hurts either.
How Often Should I Bathe A Yorkie ?
Usually, it’s recommended to bathe your Yorkie once every month. With a normal soap based shampoo it’s possible that you will cause skin issues by bathing them more often than this due to the power and pH of the soap.
If you’ve got a very messy pup that needs to be cleaned more often than this then you’re going to need to start looking for specialist shampoos (we’ve listed some below). These products are usually all natural and don’t use soap to deodorize and clean. The natural compounds they contain don’t harm your dog’s skin and can be used as often as you like.
6 Yorkie Bathing Tips
In this section, we are going to share with you 6 essential tips that you should be using to ensure bath time is as quick and easy as possible for both you and your Yorkie.
- Consider The Sink – Yorkies are small dogs, it’s one of the things that makes them such an adorable and attractive breed. If you’ve got a large sink, it can often be easier to wash your pooch in it instead of using a bathtub or a shower. This works best if you’ve got a spray attachment or a long swivel faucet as they allow you to rinse with ease.
- Put Steel Wool In The Drain – The long hairs of our little Yorkies can cause all kinds of issues for your drainage and plumbing systems. A good trick to help with this is to put some steel wool in the plug hole when you’re washing your pooch. This will grab all the hair and stop it from going down the drain and causing a problem.
- Cotton Wool In The Ears – This should be done very carefully, but putting cotton wool in your dog’s ears (gently) can stop them from getting filled with water accidentally. This is important because water in your dog’s ear canal can sometimes cause infections.
- Be Ready – You need to ensure you’ve got everything you need to get the job done within arms reach. It’s no good having to leave your pooch in the sink or in the bath while you grab a towel or some shampoo – they’re not going to stay there on their own by choice. Taking a second to double check you’ve got everything you need is going to make your life much easier in the long run.
- Run The Bath – For dogs that don’t really like bathing, the loud sound of rushing water can cause them stress and anxiety. They know what’s coming when they’re in the bathroom and the tap is running, and the waiting is often worse than the bathing itself for them. Fill the tub or sink with water before you call them over to start the cleaning process.
- Brush Before Bathing – Brushing your Yorkie before they get in the water is a very good idea. By doing this you’re going to remove any matting and knots before they have the chance to get wet (and become nearly impossible to remove). You don’t have to make them look pristine, just check there are no tangles before you get them in the bath.
|Our Picks : Best Shampoos for Yorkies – 2023|
Overall Best Yorkie Shampoo
There was no shortage of excellent shampoos for us to research for this article. We came across lots of products that could have been our overall recommendation. Because we couldn’t easily narrow it down to one, we’ve included 5 runners-up in the section below. However, we needed to pick a winner, and it’s this excellent product from Buddy Wash that we liked the most.
It’s a two in one shampoo and conditioner that has a bunch of all natural ingredients in it that have been rated as cosmetic grade (which means they’re safe enough for use on humans as well as dogs). There’s a heap of interesting botanical extracts and various essential oils (like sage, rosemary, and green tea) in the formula that helps give this product the super long lasting freshness that it’s well known for.
It’s a soap-free product that still manages to provide a thick and rich lather (which is something cheaper shampoos struggle with). The aloe vera that has been added works in conjunction with the tea tree oil to help soothe and repair any red or irritated itchy skin – ensuring your Yorkie is as healthy and happy as they can possibly be.
It’s a coconut based product that’s entirely alcohol-free, and the addition of wheat protein is what gives this shampoo the odor killing properties that it is famous for. This means that regardless of how mucky your Yorkie gets you can use this product regularly without worrying about harming their skin.
Fun Fact: It’s a US made product that’s completely cruelty-free – so it’s not been tested on animals.
The whole bottle costs less than $8, it’s one of the best value products on the market right now. It’s a great product at a great price, and we highly recommend you add it to the very top of your shortlist.
Pros And Cons
- Soap-free formula
- Safe for regular use
- Great at killing odor
- Good value for money
- Aloe vera promotes healthy skin
Best Shampoo For A Yorkie With Allergies
If you’ve got a Yorkie with sensitive skin or allergies, then we think that this excellent product from Veterinary Formula is probably the best product on the market right now. It works hard to treat various skin infections such as pyoderma and dermatitis while keeping your pooch fresh and clean.
The bacteria that create lots of the irritation your dog may be experiencing are going to be removed efficiently thanks to the Benzethonium Chloride inside the formula, and a healthy dose of Ketoconazole will destroy any fungal infections that are causing your Yorkie problems.
Like many of the products we are going to talk about today, it’s got an aloe vera infusion that will help heal any skin that has become damaged while soothing any soreness your pooch is feeling.
This product is designed to be used twice weekly when skin issues are still present, and when the problem is under control you can switch to a weekly bathing schedule to ensure the problems don’t reoccur.
It’s around $9 for a big bottle, and considering the performance of this product – we think it’s great value.
5 More Really Good Shampoos For A Yorkie
This is a great 98.2% natural product that uses ingredients like coconut oil and other natural compounds to clean your Yorkie’s coat and leave it looking glossier than ever. The pH levels have been customized to be perfectly suited for the skin of a dog and as it’s soap free – you can use it as often as you like. As an added bonus it’s a cruelty-free product, and it’s great value for money too.
This is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner that is infused with the delicious scent of mango. It’s a soap-free product that will work hard to clean out the dust, dirt, and smells from your pooch while protecting and cleaning their coat naturally at the same time. The conditioner adds a lovely luster and shine and keeps tangles to a minimum too.
This is a vegan-friendly product that uses a variety of natural ingredients to help your dog’s coat stay fresh and healthy. The aloe vera and jojoba infusions help to repair damaged skin and the oatmeal and rosemary will condition and moisturize their coat at the same time.
This is another all natural organic product (that’s certified by the USDA as “organic to exceptional standards”) and it’s also one of our favorites. We love the fresh lemongrass scent of this product, and the aloe vera makes it perfect for dogs with skin issues as it promotes recovery and repair.
This is a soap based product that has been designed to be as gentle as possible on your pooch’s skin by being completely pH neutral. It provides cleaning and odor elimination that some natural products can only dream of. It’s got aloe vera for healthy skin, and a bunch of added minerals and oils promote tangle free glossy coats too.
So there you have it, that’s what we think are the best 7 shampoos for Yorkies on the market at the moment.
Our little four-legged friends have a whole heap of fur considering their small size and they are one of the most beautiful breeds of long-haired small dog in the world. Maintaining a glossy coat takes more than just a good shampoo – but picking the right product will certainly help.
Any of the shampoos we have talked about today will be perfect for your Yorkie, and they are all more than worthy of your consideration.