Contents of Article
- Best Overall: Purina ONE SmartBlend Wet Dog Food
- Runner up: Purina Pro Plan Adult Wet Dog Food
- Alternative: Purina Beneful Wet Dog Food
- Alternative: Purina ONE SmartBlend Gravy Wet Dog Food
- Alternative: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Wet Dog Food
- Wet Food For Dogs FAQ
As your dog grows, it needs a balanced diet that keeps it healthy and in shape.
While dry food is an excellent hassle-free solution, your dogs need a little dose of wet food to satiate their omnivorous side. These wet foods are ideal as the flavor profile is more pronounced and the food is less processed than dry dog food.
These are exceptionally well in summers as eating dry pellets can dry their throat and stomach. We highly recommend switching from wet to dry and dry to wet from time to time.
To ease your decision-making process, we have curated the top 5 brands of wet dog food for your pet’s next meal.
Best Overall: Purina ONE SmartBlend Wet Dog Food
Purina is one of the oldest and sought-after brands in the pet food industry. They are the industry standard of dog food and deliver the quality as always.
Their wet food is specifically suitable for owners looking for a quick, nutritious meal that is equally flavorful. Let us look at its nutritional factors and other benefits in detail.
- Manufacturer: Nestle Purina Pet
- Type: Wet Dog Food
- Key Ingredients: Lamb And Chicken Broth, Liver, Lamb, Wheat Gluten, Meat By-Products, Chicken, Brown Rice, Carrots, Soy Flour, Corn Starch-Modified, Spinach, Egg Product, Minerals
- Volume: 13 ounces
- This package comes in a 12 pack of 13 ounces cans filled with gravy lamb and brown rice entree. The cans have an excellent quantity of tender cuts for extra nutrition.
- The recipe is made with natural lamb for the meaty taste and nourishment.
- This dog food works excellent in keeping a healthy immune system by introducing antioxidants in the meal.
- The additional Omega fatty acids help support their fur and skin for a silkier and smoother coat.
- The high proteins present in the meal help the dogs to have strong muscles and joints.
- The food package is formulated with 0% fillers and 100% nutrition making it the best-wet food for senior dogs. As old dogs find it difficult to digest fillers, a meal without these fillers works well for their health.
- Purina One has a high dose of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, which are equally crucial for the growth of a heavy dog irrespective of the breed.
- This high-quality wet food is available in gravy and dry form with meaty morsels for dogs who love chewing hard things.
- Many loyal customers have noticed a considerable amount of change in the product’s quantity in the recent batches. The cans are comparatively more filled with gravy rather than meat pieces. The ratio of sauce and solids is way off.
- The package usually comes banged up and dented, resulting in gravy spillage as soon as the owners open the shipped box.
The company encourages its loyal customers to use Purina One for eight days straight to see a considerable change in their bodies. The company promises that the product changes the energy levels, brightens the eyes, aids healthy gums and teeth while keeping a shiny fur.
If you are actively searching for a wet budget meal which excellent nutritional value, this is the product to start with.
Runner up: Purina Pro Plan Adult Wet Dog Food
Our runner-up is the Purina Pro Plan designed by the Purina nutritionists in the USA. This product is an excellent example of age-formulated meals. Let us dive down to look at all the other benefits and features of this dog food.
- Manufacturer: Purina Pro Plan
- Type: We Dog Food
- Key Ingredients: Water Sufficient For Processing, Beef, Poultry, Wheat Gluten, Meat By-Products, Rice, Corn Starch-Modified, Added Color, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement,
- Volume: 13 ounces
- This Purina Pro Plan package comes with Focus morsels in gravy beef and rice entree. The flavors of this can are robust compared to dry dog food.
- This product is made with natural beef to avoid any chemically treated meat. The authentic meat flavor can be easily seen and tasted by the dog.
- The can is specially formulated by keeping in mind the nutritional needs of dogs aged seven and older. The unique formulations for ages seven and older make it the best-wet dog food for senior dogs.
- The healthy Omega 6 fatty acids give an excellent shine to their coat while keeping their skin moisturized and healthy.
- This wet dog food for weight gain is formulated with the optimal fat to protein ratio to maintain an ideal and healthy body with every meal.
- Purina Pro Plan is designed to support every dog’s unique and particular preferences. Their eating and nutritional habits significantly change as they grow older, and during such times, it is quintessential to have the most suitable meal plan for your adorable pet.
- The expertly formulated food helps dogs be energetic while maintaining good skin and coat conditions. Pro Plan proudly manufactures a balanced nutritional meal necessary for dogs at a certain age.
- The Pro Plan wet dog food is manufactured in the USA. Each food department goes under rigorous quality checks to maintain high quality.
- The wet canned food contains many greases that dogs love but few owners find incredibly unhealthy. Few pet owners separate the liquid fat from the gravy and meat for a more healthy meal.
The main extra feature of this product is the targeted nutrition at all stages. Not every dog can eat one single type of food. As the age changes, the food requirements also drastically change; the Purina Pro Plan team neatly monitors these changes to cater to its users with age personalized meals.
Do you have a senior dog who doesn’t feel energetic and lively? If the answer is anywhere near yes, we recommend you to try this wet meal plan for your dog.
Alternative: Purina Beneful Wet Dog Food
This Purina Beneful Wet Dog Food comes with its serving bowl for quicker and easier mealtime operations. The added vegetables are an excellent addition to the product since most dogs are very picky about eating vegetables.
- Manufacturer: Nestlé Purina PetCare Company
- Type: Wet Dog Food
- Key Ingredients: Turkey Broth, Turkey, Wheat Gluten, Sweet Potatoes, Liver, Brown Rice, Meat By-Products, Corn Starch-Modified, Spinach, Salt, Soy Flour, Tricalcium Phosphate, Minerals
- Volume: 10 ounces
- This Purina Beneful Wet Dog Food is made with real sweet potatoes, turkey, brown rice, and spinach. Most of the raw constituents that go into the food seldom get seen by naked eyes, but this meal plan lets you see all the essential natural ingredients.
- The meal is made with finely chopped shreds of meat in a smooth, delicate sauce for a delicious taste and tender texture. It is easy to chew down and doesn’t take much effort.
- This wet meal has a whopping 23 essential vitamins and minerals to help support your dog’s overall health and growth journey.
- Purina is very proud to announce that this specific product does not contain any artificial preservatives, flavors, and colors that can potentially harm your pet, making it the best-wet dog food for a sensitive stomach.
- The high-quality protein supports your dog’s muscles. With enough exercise and playtime, your dog would have a lean and healthy muscle mass beneficial for growth.
- Beneful Wet Dog food is crafted and manufactured in Purina-owned factories in the USA. The high-quality testings ensure its users with excellent quality products with each tub.
- This meal is an excellent dish to eat as is, or you can mix your dry kibbles with this meal and create a more healthy option that indeed makes mealtime more exciting.
Apart from the solid sweet potato flavor and pieces, the product is exceptionally well. Few finicky dogs tend to avoid eating it because of the sweet potatoes.
The re-sealable plastic tub makes a great option if there are leftovers from the meal. This packaging also reduces your efforts to wash a dog dish. The design makes it viable to pop open the lid and serve your dog without putting the meal into a separate dog bowl.
This product is an excellent recipe for dogs who have severe chicken allergies. Since the product contains no chicken, you can easily let your pet devour this meal without any health complications. The added natural vegetables and meat make it an excellent balanced meal.
Alternative: Purina ONE SmartBlend Gravy Wet Dog Food
Our second alternative is the Purina One SMART Blend with its universally famous and nutritious flavors. This meal is a more healthy choice for dogs who love rice. The brown rice is more healthy and nutritious, making both the owners and dogs happy.
- Manufacturer: Nestle Purina Pet
- Type: Wet Dog Food
- Key Ingredients: Chicken and Turkey Broth, Chicken, Liver, Wheat Gluten, Meat By-Products, Brown Rice, Carrots, Soy Flour, Turkey, Corn Starch-Modified, Spinach, Egg Product, Minerals.
- Volume: 13 ounces
- This high-quality wet meal prep comes with 12 cans of 13 ounces Purina chicken and brown rice entree.
- The meal is exclusively made with real chicken for dogs who enjoy the classic taste and texture of fresh chicken. The intense flavor of the chicken gravy gets balanced with the brown rice, which makes an excellent tasing meal right out of the can.
- The rich gravy adds moisture to the meal, which is an excellent thing for pets who mainly drink less water throughout the day. The wet meal balances the water level in the body.
- The natural sources of glucosamine work magically to help support joints and keeping them strong from the inside.
- The antioxidants keep their immunity strong, while the poultry-rich meat keeps the muscles healthy, solid, and well lubricated.
- Purina doesn’t add any extra fillers to increase the meal’s quantity. On the contrary, each raw ingredient is chosen with care to create a well-thought-out balanced meal for your furry pet.
Many consumers have complained that the cans appear super dented upon delivery. Sometimes the cans seem old and smell rancid instantly after opening.
Nutritionists at Purina feel every owner will feel the difference in their pet’s fur, energy level, and oral health. They challenge the users to see a visible result after 28 days.
We highly advise buying this brand for small dogs as the nutrition makes a difference in their growth pattern. The versatility of this product indeed makes it the best-wet dog food for small dogs.
Alternative: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Wet Dog Food
Our last wet dog food brand is the Blue Buffalo. This brand manufactures patés, meat cuts in gravy, and hearty stews for owners who love providing varieties to their pets. Let us go through all the essential benefits, drawbacks, and buying advice to understand this product.
- Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company
- Type: Wet Dog Food
- Key Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Carrots, Peas, Pea Flour, Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Barley, Fish Oil (source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Oatmeal, Flaxseed (source of Ome 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Guar Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Cassia Gum, Carrageenan, Cranberries, Blueberries,
- Volume: 12.5 ounces
- This Blue Buffalo comes with a 12 can pack of 12.5 ounces each. Each can is filled with a paté style natural chicken base.
- The meal has a good quality chicken as its first ingredient. The chicken helps support muscle development and DHA to support your dog’s cognitive development.
- You can make three types of meals with just one pack. You can eat this meal on its own, mix it with dry foods for an added texture or serve a spoonful as a delicious snack.
- This Blue canned food is made with the finest and freshest natural ingredients with extra enhanced minerals and vitamins.
- This dog food contains no poultry by-products, artificial flavors, or preservatives. The recipe is pure, fresh, and natural for your pups.
- The natural ingredients and added components make this the best-wet dog food for puppies.
- The versatility of this product allows many breeds and young dogs to savor it too.
Most of the puppies eating this food for the first time usually get diarrhea. This side effect stops soon after the second or third meal.
Unfortunately, we couldn’t find any extra striking feature worth mentioning.
We recommend this paté style meal for puppies who have good digestive power. Doggies with sensitive stomachs will take some time to get used to this product.
Wet Food For Dogs FAQ
Is wet dog food good for dogs?
Pet owners are spoilt for choice with the consumer market for dog food and accessories expanding. There are various types, flavors, and preparation techniques of dog food. Wet food and dry food are one of the points of differentiation.
Each type has it is own positives and negatives. But it is hardly a matter of one being a superior choice to the other. It is rather about the breed requirements, particular specifications on likeability, and suitability of your canine companion that dictates what you shout opt for.
In general, wet food has its own set of advantages. Firstly, it has a water content compared to dry food, making it suitable for dogs that don’t consume much water in general. Secondly, compared to dry food, wet food could be more appealing to your dog’s taste buds, giving a sense of fulfillment. Thus, fussy dogs are most likely to prefer a wet base. The caloric intake per serving of wet food is said to be low as compared to dry food.
It is essential to consider that wet food will also begin e to stale, especially if you live in humid conditions. Moreover, if your dog is on frequent travel, then dry food is a more convenient option.
Is it OK to mix wet and dry dog food?
Before mixing the dry and wet food, it is vital to understand its objective.
Mixing ensures that your dog can get a good water intake from the wet food and required nutrients.
Each type of food is designed to provide maximum nutrition, and mixing two will not double the benefits. While you could look at alternating between a dry food meal and a wet food meal, combining the two for one meal might not be ideal. The quantity to calorie ratio of dry food and wet food is different. By mixing, you could be either underfeeding or overfeeding your dog.
For dogs with sensitive stomachs, the mix could be too demanding on their digestive tract, thus causing possible health complications like diarrhea or constipation. Therefore, combing the two would practically mean no benefits for your dog’s overall nutritional intake.
If your dog likes wet and dry food, an ideal way forward is to alternate them every day or week.
Is dry or wet food better for puppies?
Making the right choice for feeding your puppies can be challenging. Puppy food is different from the troop given to an adult dog because the nutrition elements are different.
Puppies are incredibly delicate and have sensitive digestive tracts. Moreover, food is an essential source to aid the formative years of your pet. The canine nutrition markets food in canned, semi-moist, and dry forms.
Canned food is the costliest deal. Both wet food and dry food are ideal in their respective scenario us. By the very meaty feel and Auroma, wet food entices puppies far more than a portion of dry food.
Moreover, the water content keeps your puppy decently hydrated. On the other hand, dry food is a more common and economically viable option. It also serves as an excellent chewing option for your puppy’s dental hygiene. It is essential to check for additional preservatives added in dry food, which could not be ideal for your puppies.
What is the healthiest dog diet?
Dogs are species that might have some breed-specific food requirements considering their history of health conditions, weight, allergies, or environment.
In general, dogs’ meals and food routines should include a good balance of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Small considerations can go a big way in determining your pups’ well-being.
Firstly, you must give your pet a balance of market food and homemade food. As stated wisely, even the best of best pet food companies cannot produce food matching the nutrition quotient of an excellent homemade meal. Introducing whole foods is vital in enhancing the fiber component of your dog’s diet.
Vegetables like carrots, pumpkin, and beetroot aid positive nutrient absorption. Food with antioxidants like spinach, broccoli help fight inflammation and other common diseases in dogs, such as cancer. Fish is another important source of rich food that fatty acids and serves as a good protein source. Eggs are also a good source of protein. Other additional superfoods for your pet include bananas, rice, and chicken.
It is essential to keep your veterinarian in the loop about your dog’s diet and keep a tab of their weight and glucose levels. As dogs grow, their nutrition requirements also need to be adapted and modified. Thus, regular check-ups and required modifications can all serve your dog a healthy life!
We hope this review about the top five wet food products helped decide your next food purchase.
You can consider ordering a subscription service to save yourself the hassle of going to the market. You can schedule your dog food deliveries according to your schedule.
It is imperative to incorporate a good percentage of wet food into your dog’s diet, especially if they are constantly eating dry food. The change of texture encourages the body not to be comfortable with the same meal, thus avoiding future digestive problems.
Always consult your veterinarian before starting your wet diet to get better guidance