6 Best Dog Shampoos for Yeast Infections: Our 2023 Guide
Contents of Article
- What is the Best Dog Shampoo for a Yeast Infection?
- 8 Signs of Yeast Infections in Dogs
- Things to Look for in a Good Dog Shampoo for Yeast Infections
- 6 Best Dog Shampoos for Yeast Infections
- 5 More Top Rated Yeast Infection Shampoos for Dogs
- FAQ Regarding Shampoos for Yeast Infections
It’s normal for dogs to scratch from time to time. But if your dog is scratching like his life depends on it, or you notice additional symptoms like ear odor and head tilting, it could be more than just an itch – it could be a yeast infection.
Yeast is naturally present on your dog’s body, but when it starts to proliferate, it can cause a skin condition known as yeast dermatitis that can be uncomfortable to downright painful for your dog. It can wreak havoc on his skin and coat and, if left untreated, may even spread to your dog’s internal organs to cause a systemic fungal infection.
Though you’ll need your vet to confirm the diagnosis and rule out any underlying health problems, one of the top dog yeast infection treatment options is medicated shampoo. Keep reading to see our top picks for the best dog shampoos for yeast infections.
What is the Best Dog Shampoo for a Yeast Infection?
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Dog Shampoo
- Jax n Daisy Antifungal & Antibacterial Dog Shampoo
- VetMD Medicated Antibacterial & Antifungal Dog Shampoo
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog Shampoo
- PetMD Antiseptic & Antifungal Medicated Dog Shampoo
- Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Sebozole Shampoo for Dogs
8 Signs of Yeast Infections in Dogs
Yeast is a type of fungus, and it is normally present in healthy dogs, typically found in the ears and mucocutaneous areas. It only becomes a problem when it begins to reproduce at a rapid rate, overpopulating your dog’s body and spreading to areas where it isn’t normally present – places like your dog’s skin. At this point, it can lead to a skin condition known as yeast dermatitis.
Yeast infections in dogs may not sound like a serious problem, but they are often a sign of an underlying health problem. Common causes of yeast infections in dogs include allergies, hormonal imbalance, external parasites, prolonged use of steroids or antibiotics, cancer, and immune-suppressant drugs.
Here are some of the most common signs of yeast infection in dogs:
- Extreme itchiness
- Red, irritated skin
- Skin and ear inflammation
- Sores or lesions
- Greasy coat condition
- Hair loss
- Foul-smelling discharge
- Head tilting or shaking
If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms, you may want to talk to your veterinarian. Yeast infections can spread quite easily and may become severe if left untreated. The best dog yeast infection treatment is one that addresses the underlying cause of the infection while also resolving the symptoms. In cases where the yeast infection has spread to the skin, medicated shampoo is a great option. Medicated shampoos for yeast infections typically offer antifungal and antibacterial benefits.
Things to Look for in a Good Dog Shampoo for Yeast Infections
The first step in treating a yeast infection in dogs is to obtain an accurate diagnosis from your veterinarian. Your vet will be able to confirm that your dog’s skin problems are, in fact, caused by a fungal overgrowth and may recommend a course of treatment. In severe cases, oral medications may be necessary to treat yeast infections, but many dogs do well with medicated ear solutions and/or antifungal and antibacterial dog shampoos.
Here are some of the top things to look for when shopping for dog shampoo for yeast infections:
- Active Ingredients – The most important feature of any dog shampoo for yeast infections is active ingredients that will fight the fungal infection. Common active ingredients that kill yeast include ketoconazole, fluconazole, and miconazole nitrate.
- Moisturizers – Yeast tends to proliferate in moist conditions, so you want to keep your dog’s skin and coat dry, but it is still important to keep it hydrated. Natural moisturizers like shea butter, aloe vera, and coconut oil are gentle on your dog’s skin and support the healing process.
- Cooling Agents – Yeast infections can cause your dog’s skin to become inflamed and irritated. Cooling ingredients like aloe vera can soothe your dog’s inflamed, irritated skin to make him more comfortable.
- Natural Ingredients – When your dog is already suffering from a skin infection, it is important to choose a dog shampoo that won’t further irritated his skin. Choose a medicated shampoo made with natural ingredients free from chemicals and harsh additives like alcohol and parabens.
- Essential Oils – Many natural dog shampoos feature essential oils for the natural fragrance, but these ingredients can also offer natural antibacterial and antifungal benefits as well.
6 Best Dog Shampoos for Yeast Infections
The best dog shampoo for yeast infections will contain a combination of medication and soothing ingredients to kill excess yeast and to resolve the physical symptoms of yeast infection. When using anti-yeast dog shampoo, you may need to let the shampoo soak before rinsing but be sure to thoroughly dry your dog’s coat afterward because dampness can harbor bacteria and fungus.
Do you know the 6 Best Dog Shampoos for Shedding?
If you’re looking for a medicated shampoo for dog yeast infection treatment, here are our top picks:
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Yeast Infection Dog Shampoo|
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Dog Shampoo
Overall Best Yeast Infection Dog Shampoo: Our top pick for the best dog shampoo for yeast infections is this Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Dog Shampoo. This shampoo is formulated with the active ingredients benzethonium chloride and ketoconazole to eliminate fungus and bacteria. It features soothing natural ingredients like aloe vera to speed healing with natural deodorizers as well. This formula is 100% paraben-free and gentle on your dog’s skin, safe for use twice weekly until the condition is resolved.
- Pros: Works for bacterial and fungal infections, gentle enough for regular use, two powerful active ingredients, works for dogs and cats, paraben-free, soothing natural ingredients
- Cons: May require multiple treatments, contains some artificial fragrance and dyes
5 More Top Rated Yeast Infection Shampoos for Dogs
If the shampoo reviewed above doesn’t seem like the best choice for your dog, there are still plenty of other options. Here are five more top0rated yeast infection shampoos for dogs:
Jax n Daisy Antifungal & Antibacterial Dog Shampoo
To soothe your dog’s itchy, irritated skin, try this Jax n Daisy Antifungal & Antibacterial Dog Shampoo. This shampoo features antifungal, antiseptic, and antibacterial benefits to relieve your dog’s yeast infection through the use of natural ingredients. It contains lemon oil, witch hazel, and essential oils to relieve pain and itching while supporting the healing process. It contains all-natural ingredients and is proudly made in the USA so you can use this shampoo with confidence.
VetMD Medicated Antibacterial & Antifungal Dog Shampoo
This veterinarian-recommended shampoo is designed to treat bacterial and fungal skin infections to give your dog the relief he craves. VetMD Medicated Antibacterial & Antifungal Dog Shampoo features a skin-soothing combination of tea tree leaf oil to invigorate skin and lavender for calming relief. It is pH-balanced for sensitive skin and is completely free from artificial fragrances, parabens, and other harsh ingredients that might irritate your dog’s skin. Plus, it is fortified with skin-supporting vitamins.
Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog Shampoo
Formulated to treat bacterial and fungal skin problems, Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog Shampoo is a great option for dogs with yeast infections. This shampoo features active ingredients like chlorhexidine and climbazole with lipacid to restore the skin’s natural barrier and to reduce inflammation. It resolves itching and provides a protective layer against moisture loss to soothe and condition your dog’s skin to support healing. Plus, it offers anti-inflammatory and anti-seborrheic benefits as well.
PetMD Antiseptic & Antifungal Medicated Dog Shampoo
For deep-cleaning and deodorizing benefits, we recommend PetMD Antiseptic & Antifungal Medicated Dog Shampoo. This shampoo is specifically designed to relieve fungal and bacterial skin infections with powerful active ingredients like ketoconazole and chlorhexidine. It contains no parabens or soaps to prevent skin irritation, and it is easy to work into a lather. This shampoo helps soothe and dry the affected area to speed healing while eliminating pathogens at the source to prevent recurrence.
Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Sebozole Shampoo for Dogs
This vet-approved formula features active ingredients like chloroxylenol and miconazole nitrate to treat skin infections caused by bacteria and fungus. Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Sebozole Shampoo for Dogs is a powerful formula but is still gentle on your dogs irritated skin, working to relieve symptoms and resolve the infection to speed the healing process. This shampoo is safe for routine use and is effective for a variety of dermatological conditions including yeast dermatitis and bacterial skin infections.
FAQ Regarding Shampoos for Yeast Infections
- How can you tell if your dog has a yeast infection? – Yeast infections are caused by overgrowth of the fungus Malassezia which are normally present in your dog’s skin. These bacteria are most likely to become pathogenic when the dog’s immune system is suppressed which can happen when he has a concurrent bacterial skin infection, allergies, hormonal imbalance, external parasites, cancer, or has been using steroid medications for a long period of time. The most common signs of a yeast infection in dogs are skin irritation, extreme itchiness, redness and inflammation of the skin (particularly around the ears), sores, greasy coat, hair loss, and foul-smelling discharge from the ears or skin.
- How can I treat my dog’s yeast infection at home? – Bathing your dog with an antibacterial/antifungal dog shampoo is a great at-home treatment for yeast infections. If you prefer a natural remedy, however, you can try using a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and water. Mix the solution in a spray bottle then apply it to your dog’s skin and let it air dry before applying a thin layer of coconut oil. Repeat every 24 to 48 hours as needed.
- What can I feed my dog that has a yeast infection? – If your dog has signs of yeast infection in one part of his body, it’s likely present in other areas as well. Widespread yeast infection is sometimes a sign of a dietary problem. Internal yeast infections often develop in the dog’s digestive tract when there is an abundance of starch in his diet, so switching to a low-starch dog food might help. Common sources of starch in dog food include grains like wheat, corn, and rice as well as peas, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.
- How do I treat a yeast infection on my dog’s paws? – If your dog’s paws are flaky or crusty and they have an unpleasant odor or discharge, it could be a sign of yeast infection. Itchiness it often the first sign of yeast infection in dogs, though you may also notice swelling or warmth – you might also see your dog licking at his paws more often than usual. To treat a yeast infection on your dog’s paws, you can try soaking them in a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar. Otherwise, it’s essential that you keep the paws clean and dry.
Treating your dog’s yeast infection may require medicated solutions or oral medications in addition to regular baths with antifungal shampoo. Talk to your veterinarian about the best options for your dog then try one of the top-rated dog shampoos for yeast infections we’ve reviewed above.